Friday, September 19, 2008

Crying Like a Baby

I just dropped Brad off at the airport. I was unhappy when he told me, earlier in the week, that his flight was at 1 am. But today I am so glad it was. We decided that we would have the kids say goodbye here at the house and let Brad tuck them into bed. Brad and I left the house at 12 and the "ortho family" met us at the airport to say goodbye. It was so nice of them to come--they are such a great crew! Then Brad and I had to say goodbye. It was HARD! Of course, I bawled and made a scene--good thing the Fairbanks airport is tiny! It was so hard to walk away. I stood there and watched him go through security, I just couldn't walk away. The poor lady at the parking pay booth, I bawled like a baby to her and she had to keep reassuring me. But, her guardian angels are now looking out for my sweetie, so were good! Then I bawled all the way home, and cried like I have probably not done for 18 years! The lady at the front gate didn't even tell me to have a great night--that never happens--clearly my night was not going so well! Anyway, I am glad I got all that crying out of my system. Tomorrow Lizzie's class has a field trip and I am going on that, so I needed to get it out. I think I will sleep much better tonight, I am totally spent!

7 comments:

Randi said...

Oh Christy, I can't even imagine. I am so sorry.

When grandma told us we could do things that are hard, I thought she was talking about tying my shoes and stuff. I never imagined this kind of thing. But I guess she went through this exact deal, didn't she? She must've known something.

It seems sort of pathetic that all I can do is say thank-you. I know it's not really enough. But Thank-you to your whole family.

love you!

Christy Matthews said...

Christy, thanks for your support and love! You're right... it wasn't easy last night, I didn't want to let go of you after that last embrace, but I feel that if I make a difference in just one life then it will all be worth it! I love you and I know that if anyone can pull through with flying colors it will be you! Give the kids a big hug and a slobbery kiss for me tonight! Love Brad

Heather said...

Christy, Rough stuff. I for one can feel your pain. AND can also tell you that you will make it. You are strong. The first two weeks are the hardest. Just keep yourself busy, have a good routine, break out of it now and then, and before you know it, he will be home. I promise. Don't think about how much time has passed, how much is left, just live. That will make it easier. Kind of like Christmas. If you watch and wait for it- it comes so slowely. If you just enjoy each day- it will be here before you know it. We love your family- our prayers are with you all!
Heather

Brad Matthews said...

I love you!

Hansen Family said...

I thought of you guys all day on the 18th knowing what was coming. And now you have me bawling for you. You are strong and you will make it thru this. We are pulling for you.

somebodysmom said...

The goodbye's and hello's in life are the hardest parts. Also it's when we learn the very most - how much we really need and love others and how wonderful they make our lives. You can do it. We love you. Mom

Amy Peterson said...

Come see us in Sunny Arizona! At least no one will know you are crying because it will evaporate before it hits your cheek! WE LOVE YOU