Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes!

I can't believe it's been a year since my pulmonary embolism. I have been reflecting on this last year and I am so grateful for it!

The day I came home from the hospital--Happy Birthday to me!


This is how I spent a good portion of the six months following the PE--
on the couch totally wiped-out!


Funny how a near death experience can change you, huh! Here are somethings I have learned this year:

1. The only thing that truly matters is family & friends! I cannot ever tell my sweet Mom, Dad and sisters how much it means to me that they dropped everything going on in their lives to help me. I hope they know I will do the same for them if they ever need it!!!! It still brings tears to my eyes how my sisters jumped in and cared for and loved my kids as if they were their own. THANKS!!!! Words cannot express!

Laura stepping in as Mommy


Tami tucking the kinds into bed



2. What a blessing the Priesthood is! I am so grateful to my husband and my father for petitioning the Father in my behalf. My Daddy can always make it okay! I am so grateful for the good life my Dad has lived and his wonderful example to me and my kids. What a blessing it is to have a husband who is worthy to hold the priesthood--I am grateful for his love and understanding.

3. I can do hard things! I am so grateful to have learned that the Lord will test me and give me even more than I think I can handle. He will also provide a way that I can overcome and have more strength then I ever thought was possible. I am grateful to have learned that lesson.

4. There are angels everywhere you go! I am grateful for good people the Lord has placed along my path to make life bearable. I will never forget the man on the other side of the drape in the ER. I was having severe back pain, a month or so after the PE and they had found a lot of fluid in my abdomen and needed to know where it was coming from--I was terrified that I had internal bleeding and was crying, scared and alone. He had just been in a motorcycle accident and had a few injuries and yet he kept reassuring me through the drape saying "my friend, it's okay, God can make a way, even when it seems impossible." It all turned out okay and I was not bleeding, but that was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment and it brought me peace and comfort. I am grateful for all the friends that called, stopped by and helped in any way they could. THANKS!!! I will pay it forward.

5. Concentrate on the big stuff. I was focusing on a lot of little things that seem so inconsequential now. I am working on really focusing on the big things that really matter and making those things important and meaningful to my little family.

6. I don't say thanks enough! So THANKS!!! to Brad for putting up with my quirky little ways and to my kids--I am proud to be your mother and grateful for the things you teach me, THANKS! Thanks to good parents who paved a nice smooth way for me, for loving me and giving me every opportunity that came my way and forcing me to do things when it was hard for you but you knew it was best, THANKS!!! Thanks to the great friends who have brought joy and love into my life I have been richly blessed and I am a better person for knowing all of you!

Okay, okay, this is getting way to sappy!
I just don't think I tell you enough so,
THANKS!

3 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

I am so glad it's all a year behind! I love what "tragedy" gives us, a clear understanding of what is important, and the REAL purpose of life!

somebodysmom said...

I love you. It is a privilege to be your mom. Can't believe how much I have learned from each one of my children. Family is what life is all about. It's the first and the last.

Tami Vincent said...

I know it was a hard time for you, but it was fun to come see where you live and beautiful Alaska, and beautiful nieces and Nephew. Love ya