Sunday, August 3, 2008

Knee Deep!

That is how I would describe the last few days, knee deep, let me explain.

1.  Flooding in and around Fairbanks
There is wide spread flooding in Fairbanks--the Chena River that runs all through Fort Wainwright and Fairbanks is the highest it's been since 1969.  Our oldest has been drawing plans for an ark.  We have not been effected by it as of yet, the river is just half a block from our home on 3 sides, so it remains to be seen.  That's what you get when it rains for 2 weeks straight.  Thank Heaven the rain stopped today!  They have finally opened the flood plains just outside of town.  We hope that helps--I am sure at least one day without constant rain will help a ton!  I know the train has been shut down from Denali to the northeast because there are areas where the tracks are under water.  We hope this is cleared up soon as we get a lot of things in the interior by rail.

A photo of Nennana just southwest of Fairbanks, 
we have not been hit nearly as hard.

2.  Beef Wellington.  My kids want me to be on The Next Food Network Star.  They know I love to watch the show and they think (I totally have them fooled) that I am a great cook.  According to my son I am "the best cooker ever"!  How can I disappoint them!?  So, I told them that I have got to learn a lot more and perfect some higher, culinary type, cooking skills.  So, each week I try out something new.  This week was Beef Wellington.  I started by shopping for all the ingredients on Monday of last week and then I made a mushroom pate yesterday and then spent a good part of the afternoon assembling and finishing off my baby wellingtons.  I have definetly been knee deep in wellington this week.  I was quite intimidated and although it took a while to prep, it was delicious and well worth all the work.  And best of all every one of my kids tried it and loved it!

Success!  Not my Beef Wellington, but it totally looked like this!

3.  Primary--Summer time--ARGGGHHH!  We had one new teacher and all the others were subs in Junior Primary can you say KNEE DEEP!

I should be happy, I guess I could be knee deep in debt, knee deep in backed up sewage or knee deep in paperwork--Oh wait, we're in the ARMY, I guess the last one is true!  I am grateful for the things I have been knee deep in this week!  

Want to try Beef Wellington?  Go to recipezaar.com I used recipe # 115129.  Let me know how yours turns out!

What should I try next?  Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

when I get settled in AZ I will try the beef wellington! I am so sorry that the rain is never ending! AHHH I would say it is time to open the flood planes! Love you

somebodysmom said...

Are you surviving ALASKA? They should make a TV show - Surviver Alaska. I think you could win.
It shouldn't rain in the summer there. After all it's the only time you get to see the sun. On the other hand - maybe you wouldn't be home cooking if the sun was shining.
I want a piece of Beef Wellington. Yum. Keep cook'n.

somebodysmom said...

So have you decided what your point of view would be?

Randi said...

I would definitely vote for you as the new Food Network Star.
If you really want to clinch that vote, though, I think maybe you should come to Colorado and try that beef wellington again. I'm sure I'd vote for you then. ;)